Skip to main content

Student Jobs in London

If you’re heading to London to study in the UK as an international student, you probably have lots of questions about the lifestyle, the culture and (as most students do) the costs of living. Not to mention the ability to work in London.

London is an exciting city, with plenty to see and experience, so you’ll want to make sure you can fully take advantage of everything the city has to offer. A great way to ensure you can do this, is by looking for jobs in London that you can do whilst studying. The extra money you make from a job can go towards rent, bills, activities, fun, travel or exploration, and really help you make this city feel like home.

Can international students work?

If you’re looking to work during your international studies, but you’re unsure about whether this is legal, or what caps are placed on international students, then hopefully this article will give you the answers you need.

If you have any questions, you can always drop our team an email.

Are there any restrictions?

The good news is, international students are permitted to work. However, there are some working restrictions you’ll need to know about, that we’ve outlined below.

First of all, in order to qualify to work, you must be studying at a university or college that is listed the official UKVI Sponsor list and ‘recognised bodies’ list too. Most major academic universities in the UK are on these lists, but we always recommend double checking.

Secondly, the hours you can work are limited. If you’re an international student, who is studying on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate degree course, you are allowed to work during term time for a total of 20 hours a week. During your university’s registered holiday dates, this allowance increases to full time hours.

This is a handy guide to working restrictions in the UK for international students looking to work in London:

  • If you are studying at degree level (or above) at a higher education institution (HEI): 20 hours per week permitted.
  • If you are on a study abroad programme at an “overseas higher education institution” in the United Kingdom: 20 hours per week permitted.
  • If you are studying a course that is below degree level at an HEI: 10 hours per week permitted.
  • If you have immigration permission as a Tier 4 (Child) Student and you over 16 years old: 10 hours per week permitted.

Are there jobs for students in London?

Absolutely. London is a busy, metropolitan city and there are jobs in many industries that would suit international students looking for work. Many international students find that working during their studies is a great way to improve your english language skills, make friends and find many more exciting opportunities.

If you’re limited by 20 hours per week, we’d recommend looking for jobs in hospitality (restaurant, bar and cafe work), where you will likely work on 5 – 8 hour shifts.

Retail work is another popular work choice for international students, especially if there are any brands and stores from your home country who are looking for staff in their central London establishments.

Join the discussion 2 Comments

  • Mohammad says:

    If I work over 20 hours a week what will happen?
    How much I will paid for 1 hour in London?
    Suppose if anyone don’t get scholarship is 20 hours a week is enough for bearing his tuition fees and living expenses?

    • HFS London says:

      Hi Mohammad,

      Thank you for your comment. The Home Office will be aware of the number of hours you are working. If you exceed this number, it may affect your visa status or you may receive a fine. Although I would recommend doing research as we are no experts in this.

      The minimum wage in the UK depends on age. You will also be paid differently depending on your job and industry.

      We wouldn’t be able to tell you if the wages you earn can support your tuition fees as both vary quite a lot. I would recommend checking the tuition fees for your school closely and then plan well about what job you are hoping to get. As long as you have a plan and you have calculated your budget, you should be ok.

      Ollie @ HFS

Leave a Reply